Innisfail senior rugby league teams finish as runners-up

Innisfail’s Elia Mooka is wrapped up by the Ivanhoes in the Reserve-grade final. Photo: Maria Girgenti

YARRABAH Seahawks shattered the Innisfail Leprechauns’ hopes of a Grand Final premiership as they snatched a dramatic 20 – 16 win, in golden point to claim the Cairns District Rugby League A-grade premiership last Saturday, at Barlow Park, Cairns.


It was a repeat of the Grand Final rematch in 2017, as the Seahawks claimed their second premiership in the Club’s 21-year history in front of thousands.


Aaron Jolley scored first in the third minute, then converted his own try and put Innisfail out to an early 6 – 0 lead.


Minutes later, Yarrabah’s Samuel Bann Jnr crossed, however the conversion went wayward, and Yarrabah trailed by two. 


During the first half, both teams played with men down, after two Innisfail and three Yarrabah players were sinbinned, due to on-field indiscretions, as Innisfail went to the break with a slender two-point lead.


Yarrabah hit the front and extended their lead by 16 – 6, with tries to Dale Ambrym and veteran flyer Hezron Murgha, whilst Coleridge Dabah slotted a penalty kick.


Innisfail reduced the deficit to four when Julian Christian dived over for a try on the left edge, and CDRL’s top points’ scorer, Aaron Jolley, added the extras. 


Late in the game, winger Ashton Galea scored for Innisfail in the far-right corner, to have the scores locked up at 16 apiece and the noise in the crowd was deafening as Jolley missed the crucial conversion to break the deadlock. 


For the first time in 20 years of CDRL history, at the full-time siren, nothing separated both teams, and the atmosphere was electric as the game went into golden point extra time.


Yarrabah sealed the thrilling four-point win, in the final thirty seconds of extra time, when Oscar Fourmile stormed over for a try in the left-hand corner.


The venue erupted, as masses of loud and enthusiastic Yarrabah supporters spilled onto the field to celebrate the epic win with their footy heroes. 


Coleridge Dabah, Yarrabah’s five-eighth, won his fourth consecutive Player of the Final Award.


In the Reserve-grade decider, Innisfail suffered a crushing 26 – 0 loss at the hands of the Ivanhoes. 


Jack Dooley from the Knights, who bagged four scintillating tries, claimed the Player of the Final Award.


After holding a narrow two-point lead at half time, Edmonton recorded a convincing 28 – 12 win over the Kangaroos in the Under 18 Grand Final, to lift the premiership shield. The Player of the Final was Hamish Davies (Edmonton). 

More News